The best tutorial I found was making my own washing soda. I didn’t even know it was possible, but because I had the hardest time finding Washing Soda I started searching for ways to get washing soda. After I made this I found washing soda. Go figure.
What is the difference between Baking Soda and Washing Soda?
The difference between baking soda and washing soda is water and carbon dioxide. Seriously. Baking soda’s chemical makeup is NaHCO3 (1 sodium, 1 hydrogen, one carbon, and 3 oxygen molecules). Washing soda’s chemical makeup is Na2CO3 (2 sodium, 1 carbon, and 3 oxygen molecules). When baking soda is heated up to high temperatures, it breaks down to become washing soda, water steam, and carbon dioxide. So, the steam and carbon dioxide are released during the cooking process, leaving you with… washing soda! Penniless Parenting
What you need for this:
- Baking Soda
- Cookie Sheet
How to make it:
- Heat oven to 400 F (200 C)
- Pour Baking soda on the cookie sheet. Flatten it out as best you can.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stir occasionally.
When do you know the Baking soda has changed to washing soda?
Baking Soda is a powdery, crystallized like salt and clumps together.
Washing Soda is a grainy, dull and opaque, grains separate (kind of like salt).
What cleaning recipes use Washing Soda? Here are a few.
What products did I end up liking and making into the booklet?
- Homemade Powder Laundry Soap
- Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap
- Homemade Laundry Softener and Dryer Sheets
- Homemade Wool Dryer Balls
- Homemade Anti-bacterial Spray
- Homemade All Purpose Cleaner
- Homemade Grease Cutter
- Homemade Bathroom Cleaner
- Homemade Powder Dish Detergent and Rinse Aid
- Homemade Liquid Dish Soap
- Homemade Disk Deodorants
I also put pages about essential oils, where to buy the products and about the cost of them and the tutorials from the original websites.