I just have to say I have not made this yet. Once I made the powder laundry soap and how it was to quick I opted out of doing this thou I normally like a liquid.
Liquid Laundry Soap what you will need:
- 1 Shaved or grind bar soap (Ivory, Dr. Bronner’s, Zote or Fels-Naptha)
- 1 Cup Washing Soda
- 1 Cup Borax
- Hot water
- Measuring Cup
- Cheese Grater
- 1-3 5 gallon buckets (I will explain later why 1-3)
- Big metal cooking pot
- Long wooden spoon
- Optional 35-40 drops of essential oil (lavender, grapefruit or tea tree or see my Cleaning Recipe Booklet for more on essential oils)
This batch will make 160+ loads (5-10 gallons of liquid laundry soap)
½ cup per load or ¼ load for HE machines
- Grate soap with cheese grater or use a food processor.
- Add some water to soap in big metal cooking pot. Melt soap on medium heat until soap is dissolved.
- Fill 5 gallon bucket half way with HOT WATER.
- Add melted soap to the 5 gallon bucket
- Add Washing soda while stirring *caution: a small reaction will occur.
- Add Borax and stir.
- optional: add essential oil.
- Mix with wooden spoon.
- Once mixed well, (at this point it is best to move bucket outside or where ever you want this to sit at) fill bucket up the rest of the way with water.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let it sit overnight.
- Remix and pour into laundry containers for easy to use.
*Note: This is a concentrated version. It will get gooey and thick after a while. Just remix before use OR option number 2
This is where the 2 other 5 gallon containers come in at. At step 10 you will pour half of the mixture in another 5 gallon bucket and fill both buckets up with HOT WATER and let it sit overnight. You can also just ½ the recipe and use just the one 5 gallon bucket.
The next day you can pour the laundry soap into smaller containers for easy daily use.
Use 1 cup per load or ¼ cup per load for HE machines max ½ cup for HE machines.
Check out other Homemade Household Cleaning Products
What products did I end up liking and making into the booklet?
- Homemade Powder Laundry Soap
- Homemade Laundry Softener and Dryer Sheets
- Homemade Wool Dryer Balls
- Homemade Anti-bacterial Spray
- Homemade All Purpose Cleaner
- Homemade Grease Cutter
- Homemade Bathroom Cleaner
- Homemade Powder Dish Detergent and Rinse Aid
- Homemade Liquid Dish Soap
- Homemade Disk Deodorants
- Turning Baking Soda into Washing Soda
I also put pages about essential oils, where to buy the products and about the cost of them and the tutorials from the original websites.
There is a wonderful video tutorial on this by The Urban Farming Guys I did not get all the recipe from here but the video what very helpful.