I saw a tutorial on how to make an Origami Raglan Sleeves at Straightgrain. I loved the idea and got inspired to make a purse. I used an old t-shirt for the material. I made it for my daughter but I got to say I want one too.
What I used: old t-shirt or material, 1″ ribbon and thread. Along with sewing machine, scissors.
- I cut off the sleeves and the collar.
- I used a ruler and marked every 1″ with a pen from the bottom to 1″ from the top. I did this in the center front and back and each side.
- I pinned together the marks, making kind of a pleat all the way around the shirt.
- I then sewed the lines I created all around.
- I sewed the lines in the 2 centers going in one direction and the sides I sewed the lines going the other direction. Note: If you want to see more movement in the lines. Sew more in between the center and the sides.
- Once done I matched the side pieces together (now they become my center for the purse) and hem the bottom (right sides together).
The purse was looking a little bland so I looked for some ribbon and found light blue 1″ ribbon. Perfect, her two favorite colors.
- I folded the ribbon in half all around the edging of the handles.
- Still seemed like it needed something else. So I gathered the handle at the top so it scrunches and I gathered the hem inside the bottom of the purse right below the seam I did earlier.
I think I would have put the pleats a little closer together but I wanted to be able to see the colored thread. All in all I am happy with the out come and so is my daughter and that is what matters.